DESIGNATION: Property Underwriter
Company: Zurich Insurance Group Ltd
LOCATION: Vancouver,BC, CA
EXPERIENCE: 01-02+ Years
Job Area: Underwriter
Job code: 83967
Working in a strong team environment, the successful candidate will analyze and underwrite new and renewal business, regularly interacting and facing the market, utilizing The Zurich Way of Underwriting Framework within delegated authority levels on assignments of varying technical complexity ensuring a high level of service to our customers. Come and be part of our dynamic and cohesive team as we continue to shape and grow our underwriting portfolio in Western Canada.
- High School Diploma or Equivalent and 1 or more years of experience in the Insurance or Market Facing area.
- High School Diploma or Equivalent and 2 or more years of experience in the Claims or Underwriting Support area
- Knowledge of the insurance industry and the legal and regulatory environment
- Knowledge of underwriting philosophy, techniques, national/local filing regulations and guidelines
- Bachelors Degree with 1 or more years experience in the underwriting area
- Strong negotiation skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Microsoft Office skills
Job Accountabilities – Key Accountabilities
- Administer and monitor underwriting rules and guidelines, rating manual rules, and insurance laws and regulations.
- Develop, maintain & collaborate with Line of Business representatives and other business-related needs, as appropriate.
- Develop and maintain relationships with distributors (agents & brokers) in support of business retention and acquisition and works with customers and distributors (agents & brokers) to determine their insurance-related needs and provide solutions.
- Support the organization’s sales culture by being a Help Point for agents, brokers and customers.
- Proactively seek renewal and new account opportunities.
- Complete detailed opportunity assessment with key distributors to identify growth opportunities.
- Qualify accounts to meet with the organization’s appetite, balanced with sound business opportunities.
- Make broker/customer and on-sight calls with a planned and well-prepared purpose.
- Cross-Sell other lines of business to increase the organization’s product density with the account.
- Promote the organization’s products and services in order to increase penetration with the agency plant.
- Participate in Sales Team meetings as they relate to assigned brokers and/or territory.
- Proactively engage in the target account process, managing a qualified list of opportunities 90 to 120 days prior to the effective date.
- Update required systems with details of broker/client visits and account statuses within the specified time frame.
- Serve as key contact for assigned target accounts.
- Calculate Target Price accurately by utilizing underwriting tools appropriately.
- Measure exposures/analyze risk.
- Quote and set coverage, negotiate terms and conditions.
- Service accounts, handle declination’s/cancellations.
- Participate in marketing presentations to assigned agents/brokers.
- Resolve technical problems by referring to policies, procedures, specifications.
- Provide technical expertise for short-term, defined scope projects.
- Identify and comply with the main principles relevant to legal and regulatory controls that govern standard work practices.
- Collect evidence from well-established sources and deliver accurate decisions to customers and facilitate decision-making on wider customer issues.
- Monitor underwriting processes in order to identify opportunities for improvement.
A future with Zurich
Now is the time to move forward and make a difference. At Zurich, we want you to share your unique perspectives, experiences and ideas so we can grow and drive sustainable change together. As part of a leading global organization, Zurich North America has over 148 years of experience managing risk and supporting resilience. We are a leading provider of commercial property-casualty insurance solutions and a wide range of risk management products and services for businesses and individuals. Today, we serve more than 25 industries, from agriculture to technology and insure 90% of the Fortune 500®. Our growth strategy is not limited to our business. As an employer, Zurich strives to provide ongoing career development opportunities and foster an environment where voices are diverse, behaviors are inclusive, actions drive equity, and our people feel a sense of belonging. Be a part of the next evolution of the insurance industry. Join us in building a brighter future for our people, our customers and the communities we serve.
As a global company, Zurich recognizes the diversity of our workforce as an asset. We recruit talented people from a variety of backgrounds with unique perspectives that are truly welcome here. Taken together, diversity and inclusion bring us closer to our common goal: exceeding our customers’ expectations. Zurich is committed to providing a diverse, inclusive and barrier-free environment resulting in an accessible organization for employees, customers, and other parties who interact with, or on behalf of, Zurich. We strive to achieve a workplace free of discrimination of all forms, including discrimination on the basis of physical or mental disability, or medical condition. If you are interested in a job opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation, so we can work with you to provide a more accessible process.