DESIGNATION: Sr. Risk Services Specialist, Mining
Company: Zurich Insurance Group Ltd
LOCATION: Toronto, Canada
EXPERIENCE: 10-12 Years
Caregary: Risk Engineering
Job code: 73980
Zurich’s Canada Risk Services mining team is seeking a senior risk engineering consultant with property and casualty mining experience. This role includes account engineering responsibilities. This is a work-from-home role that services customers within Canada and the US.
- Bachelor’s Degree and 8 or more years of experience in the Risk Engineering area
- High School Diploma or Equivalent and 10 or more years of experience in the Risk Engineering area
- 12+ years’ experience in tailings dam design, safety and stability assessment and related mine-site earthworks infrastructure.
- Geotechnical, Civil, Mining or Geological Engineering degree + P.Eng designation
- A combination of on site and consulting experience
- Must have strong written and verbal skills to prepare reports, and the ability to work and write fluently in both French and English, proficiency in Spanish & Portuguese would be an asset
- Experience in mine site seismic and/or Flood design is considered an asset;
- Extensive knowledge of environmental best practices, management systems and monitoring requirements on operations and construction projects
- Solid geotechnical, including hydrology background
- Operations experience with respect to open pit, underground, and heap leach is considered an asset
- Outstanding collaborative skills
- High degree of proficiency related to PC and Software or systems
- Familiar with North American Mining Acts
- Familiar with Mining safety management programs, machinery risk management or Property Loss Prevention would be considered an asset
- Provide senior-level review and engineering analysis, review/assessment and reporting for mining Operations and Projects: tailings dams, water management system, waste rock piles, open pits, underground, etc.
- Perform Dam Safety Inspections/Evaluations
- Prepare reports and coordinate support activities
- Review site survey findings or desk review findings and prepare written assessment and recommendations
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Provide consulting services for Mining clients
- Provide training for internal/external Mining customers and/or business partners utilizing both in person and utilizing digital technologies
- Develop presentations and effectively communicate information with individuals, small group situations, customers, clients, and other employees of the organization
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team setting
- Ability to travel, mostly Canada,, some USA and on occasion international travel will be required. Estimate 60% of Travel involved
- Authorized to lawfully work in Canada without sponsorship by Zurich is required.
- Possess a Valid Class “G” driver’s license
- Participate in Training programs to either cross-train and/or further professional/personal development i.e. property fire protection, machinery breakdown, Insurance Risk Management
- Manage account risk portfolio and provide account-level engineering to meet Insurance underwriting requirements.
- Developing and implementing customer service strategies that reduce loss and improve customer operations.
- Provide engineering support to the Insurance underwriting team by attending client and Insurance broker meetings.
- Monitor property & casualty mining account engineering services to ensure that delivery is proper, on time, and cost-effective.
- Perform field engineering assessments to evaluate a property, casualty, and machinery breakdown exposures and controls at insured locations mainly in Canada and occasionally the USA
- Advanced consultative services to customers, including identifying exposures with significant loss potential, investigation of cause/effect of major losses and management programs
- Assist in marketing Zurich risk transfer insurance products in conjunction with underwriting professionals and agents across company business segments.
Develop & Grow
Puts Customers First
Technical Competency 1
Technical Competency 2
Provide Clear Direction
Make it Happen
A future with Zurich
Now is the time to move forward and make a difference. At Zurich, we want you to share your unique perspectives, experiences and ideas so we can grow and drive sustainable change together. As part of a leading global organization, Zurich North America has over 148 years of experience managing risk and supporting resilience. We are a leading provider of commercial property-casualty insurance solutions and a wide range of risk management products and services for businesses and individuals. Today, we serve more than 25 industries, from agriculture to technology and insure 90% of the Fortune 500®. Our growth strategy is not limited to our business. As an employer, Zurich strives to provide ongoing career development opportunities and foster an environment where voices are diverse, behaviors are inclusive, actions drive equity, and our people feel a sense of belonging. Be a part of the next evolution of the insurance industry. Join us in building a brighter future for our people, our customers and the communities we serve.
As a global company, Zurich recognizes the diversity of our workforce as an asset. We recruit talented people from a variety of backgrounds with unique perspectives that are truly welcome here. Taken together, diversity and inclusion bring us closer to our common goal: exceeding our customers’ expectations. Zurich is committed to providing a diverse, inclusive and barrier-free environment resulting in an accessible organization for employees, customers, and other parties who interact with, or on behalf of, Zurich. We strive to achieve a workplace free of discrimination of all forms, including discrimination on the basis of physical or mental disability, or medical condition. If you are interested in a job opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation, so we can work with you to provide a more accessible process.